Published on July 4th, 2011 | by john.weir

Skills shortages in New South Wales as tradies salaries boom

A shortage of skilled tradespeople has left NSW employers struggling to fill key positions and is costing the state’s economy tens of millions of dollars in lost productivity., says The Daily Telegraph.

Skilled tradespeople – including electricians, diesel mechanics, welders, fitters, construction workers and gas fitters – topped the list of Manpower’s annual Talent Shortage Survey, which saw more than 50 per cent of Australian employers struggling to find staff, ahead of sales reps, engineers and executives.

“The rebuilding associated with natural disasters that we’ve seen in Australia over the past year or so is also exacerbating shortages in some of the trades and engineering areas as the rebuilds start,” Mr Crawley said. “Skilled fitters, mechanical and diesel fitters, are in massive demand at the moment, as are electricians.”

He said the skills shortage was also driven by development in the resources sector thanks to demand for iron ore in China, gas projects in Japan, and an emerging market in India, which had seen wage increases of up to a 100 per cent for some trades.

“For many of the large companies in the resources sector, the relative cost of labour to their overall expenses is much lower compared to many other industries, so it’s easier for them to offer more money to recruit staff,” he said. “There are instances of tradespeople earning $200,000 to $250,000 a year.”

Skills Australia chief executive Robin Shreeve said the NSW skills pool was being targeted by other states and it was difficult to retain top tradies as pay and incentives to go interstate were so attractive.

“Because NSW has a big vocational education and training system, people say that NSW is helping to alleviate skills shortages in other states because it trains so many people,” he said.”The other issue is complaints from some industries in the resources sector because fly-in and fly-out operations are recruiting people from NSW to go and work in other industries.””For every thousand skilled tradies leaving NSW, it’s probably costing the state in excess of $4 million in terms of lost economic activity,” he said.

Are you looking for a job in New South Wales ? Why not visit our Working Down Under site, or better still, visit Down Under Live in London and Birmingham to meet with recruiters looking for candidates to fill roles across Australia. The shows are on the 17th/18th September and the 24th/25th September.

Tags:

11 Responses to Skills shortages in New South Wales as tradies salaries boom

1. Maurice Guya says:

Iam of the skilled trades a machinist with over 20 years experience. Living and working in kenya.with a strong orientation in metalwork technology conversant with technical drawing and working within timelines-strong turn around time(TAT)observance.
    Interested in migrating to work in Australia.

Thanks
    Maurice

2. Sarma Sitohang says:

I am extremely interested in working and living in Australia. I am Indonesian and living at Bogor. I am an experienced qualified electrician, with 16 yrs experience doing Mining electrical construction and maintenance,Oil and Gas electrical construction and maintenance, High risk building maintenance, and others. At present day I worked to Byrnecut Offshore Saudi Arabia for UG Cooper and Gold Mining as Electrician. I would like to emigrate and start a new phase of life, by working and fulfilling my desire to work and live in wonderful Australia.
    I would be highly obliged if a company could sponsor me and would be preveleged to share my experience and skill and be a part of australia.
    And I am looking forward from you soon.
    Best regards, Sarma Sitohang
    email; sarma2hang@yahoo.com

3. cristian says:

hy mi name is cristian and im tiling contractor in dublin ireland.im from rumania ,im not qualifi in tiling but im do this job from twelf years ago ,im try to go in australia but im wonder if widouth a qualifi i have a oportuniti to go.im merried and im 30 years old ,if somewon can give me a fiew answers pleas contact me on email.tnks

4. mario says:

I am extremely interested in working and living in Australia. I am an apprentice qualified welder, with 24 yrs experience doing mig, stick and submerged arc welding. I would like to emigrate and start a new phase of life, by working and fulfilling my desire to work and live in wonderful Australia.
    email; lee_marvan@yahoo.com

5. Duncan Haines says:

Hi . I am a fully qualified installation electrician and tester with over ten years experience. I spent a year in Oz on a working tourist visa and would love to return on a more permant basis. I have no family ties so the move would be easy.
    I am experienced in a range of different applications, domestic, commercial and also industrial work.
    If any suitable positions became vacant I would be very interested.
    Many thanks.

6. louise says:

Im a 30 year old single woman. Ive had my own driving school for ten years and im also a level three beauty therapist. Is there any positions for my trades in austraila?

7. robert maslin says:

hi iam a carpenter,builder with over 20 years in the building trade,i know iam now leaveing it late ,but i would love to immigrate to oz and start a new chapter in my life,iam a single guy and any advice you can give me would be a great help.look forward to your reply rob..

8. Tiante T T says:

I am interested to work in Australia. I had completed a MSc degree in renewable energy from Murdoch University in Perth in early 2009.
    If any suitable employer may need me, I would appreciate to hear.

With thanks.

9. Mark Jenkins says:

Hi I am a gas fitter and heating and plumbing and energy consultant are ther any jobs for that type of post or do I just apply for one as i dont know where to start. My wife is a primary school teacher so will that help our change of getting through the doors Plus we both have family that live there and love it so why not and what are we doing here still

10. Gary McFadden says:

Dear sir/madam,i am a 37 year old fully qualified carpenter/joiner from Glasgow,Scotland wishing to emigrate to Australia in the very near future (house sale dictates when).I am also experienced in most of the fibrous plasterer tasks amongst others.I have been looking into the process since the start of the year along with my friend who is 25 years old who also wishes to migrate.I would welcome any advice on the best process to achieve my goal of migration and job prospects long term.Thanks in advance and look forward to any advice you can give me,Gary