Published on February 17th, 2011 | by john.weir

Australia calls on builders, plasterers and electricians from the UK

Australia is open for business following the floods in southern Queensland and the cyclone that affected parts of the tropical north. Tourists are enjoying a warm Aussie welcome and are experiencing the stunning beaches, reef and rainforests of Queensland as part of their Australian holiday.

In the areas that are still affected, Working Holiday Visa holders are being encouraged to assist with reconstruction efforts by volunteering their time. If the volunteer work falls under the definition of ‘specified work’ and is conducted within an eligible part of regional Australia, it can count towards the 88 days of work that visa holders must undertake in order to be eligible for a second Working Holiday Visa.

Examples of construction work that qualify as ‘specified work’ include demolition of buildings, trench digging, earth moving and residential and non residential repairs.

There are also paid work opportunities in these areas which would also help secure a Working Holiday Visa extension.

In addition the government has announced fast-track processing of 457 visa applications specifically for reconstruction jobs in flood-affected areas, providing quick access to skilled labour from overseas where local supply is insufficient. Under the programme, a wide variety of skilled construction and engineering occupations are available for sponsorship.

“The response to the floods in the UK and Ireland has been inspiring,” said Rodney Harrex, Tourism Australia’s Regional General Manager UK/Northern Europe.

“As an Australian, it has been incredible to see the support that British and Irish people have shown to those affected.

“Australia is a huge country and although the flooding was on a significant scale, most of the country is open for business with tourism operations running normally. Even the day after the worst of the flooding in Brisbane, people were enjoying the beaches on the Gold Coast – just an hour’s drive away.

“The best way to support the country now is to come and holiday here.

“We have had a few enquiries from backpackers asking how they can get involved with the reconstruction effort in the areas still affected, and we encourage them to look on the Department of Immigration and Citizenship website for the full details of the Working Holiday Visa.

“This is a great way to support the reconstruction effort, explore the country and sample the Aussie lifestyle,” he said.

Want to find out the latest on jobs in Australia or check out Working Holiday visas ? Come to Down Under Live in Birmingham on the 26th & 27th February, or London on the 5th & 6th March 2011.

Tags:

20 Responses to Australia calls on builders, plasterers and electricians from the UK

1. Micky says:

Hi I have level 1 and 2 in plastering,and 10 years served,also level 2 in tilling and decorating,own tools and clean driving licence,ready to leave London asap lol 07984876532

2. Anthony Parkin says:

Hi I am a time served plasterer / renderer looking for work . Will work in gangs I have own tools transport 07771573910 tony

3. Adam Houghton says:

hi my names adam im 25 i have 8 years experience in the building trade mainly in plastering im currently in brisbane looking for work, im available to work for as long as required.
    my contact number is 0458686508

4. Ian says:

Hi my names Ian have16yrs expreience in plastering and would love to come and help out my contact no is 07960745409 or 01653 699135

5. Ian says:

Hi i am qualified plasterer 16 yrs experiance and would love for some one to sponsor me and come to help out in queensland austrailia, I have experiance in domestic properties and residential

6. Andy says:

Im a fully qualified electrician with inspection and testing and 17th edition regulations looking for work in Australia. i was thinking or getting a working visa at first some time in 2013 and would like to arrive knowing that there would be job waiting for me.any information or feed back would be greatly appreciated.thanks

7. sandeep kumer says:

hi i m 28y old.i m working in UAE as a electrician.i want to work in Austrailia.

8. Luke says:

NVQ level 2 plasterer, over 8 years exsperiance in all aspects of plastering I’m 26 lived in Perth for a year in 2009 looking for a company to sponsor me/ employ me, worked on all projects from single units to multi story blocks, refferences availbe.

9. Lionel Lewis says:

Qualified electrician looking for work over Australia, I have been an electrician for 21 years, I am self employed over in the u.k. I have my residency visa, and have my Australian recognised trade certificate class as an electrical mechanic. I have worked on industrial commercial and domestic work.

10. Steven Etchells says:

Fully qualified electrician have 10+ years experience in commercial and domestic environments

Like mossie wrote due to the recession the work here is kinda sparce at the moment and would love to giove aus a try.

11. electricians Raleigh says:

12. Damien says:

Hi I am a plasterer with 11 years experince in domestic and commercial work. I have been in Australia on two working holiday visa’s, the first visa started in 2005 for one year and the other started in 2009. So I am back home in Ireland now and would to get back over to Australia and help in the fixing up of Queensland. what do you think my chances would be of returning. Thank you.

13. mossie herlihy says:

hi my name mossie herlihy county kerry in rep of ireland.im a qualified plasterer with ten years experience.i was self employed with five men working for me .Due to recession in ireland ,there is hardly no work in construction.Have never been to australia and wud luv to .

14. Ian Crook says:

My names Ian Crook I am a 30 year old British electrician able to test inspect and commission with 10 years relevant trade experience and a wide and varied back ground, also having the technical qualifications to back. I have been to Sydney a few times and would like to come to the flood effected areas to help, but i require sponsorship (457) due to already used a working holiday visa. really hope i can help and would very much like a response on this matter.

15. matthew o'keefe says:

hi. i’m currently studying for a HND in Quantity Surveying at Swansea Metropoliton University. I’m in the final year of my course, and hope to graduate in june or july, after which i would be very interested in coming out to Austrailia or New Zeland to work for the summer or possibly longer. I have previous experience of working on construction and railway sites, and think i have the skills and abilities to contribute to construction projects in Austrailia or New Zeland. I’m 24 years old and very keen.
    Look forward to hopefully recieving a reply on this matter.

16. Duncan Haines says:

Hi . I’m a fully qualified electrician able to test and certify with experience in commercial and domestic installations.
    Was in Austrailia on a one years working visa between February 09 and February 10 and would love to return. Was wondering what the chances were of this as a did nt extend my visa last time I was over, but believe my skills would be invaluable.

17. steve chalk says:

hello im a 44 year old male and with 20 years network telecommuncations engineer ranging from customer to telephone exchange would there be any call for my experence anywhere in oz.

18. Ed Bristow says:

Hi I am a qualified mechanical fitter in the Uk currently working for Southampton yacht services and I also hold an NVQ2 in ceiling/wall fixing, I have also been involved in numerous property renovating projects and am interested in migrating to Australia. We already have tickets to the Birmingham show on the 27th feb.
    I look forward to your comments.
    Thanx