Published on April 27th, 2012 | by john.weir

Rio Tinto launch massive recruitment drive in Australia

Mining company Rio Tinto will today begin a push to recruit more than 6,000 workers to it sites across Australia.

The company says it wants to increase the size of its Pilbara workforce in Western Australia, where it already employs 10,000 people, by at least 50 per cent in the next few years.
Rio Tinto spokesman Bruce Tobin says a recruitment campaign featuring Olympic sports stars Libby Trickett, Steve Hooker and Drew Ginn will be launched in April.

“Rio Tinto has launched one of the Australia’s biggest ever recruitment campaigns and we’re looking to attract thousands of new employees to work across our 30 operations around Australia,” he said.
“We’re probably looking for around 6,000 people, but the bulk of those would be working in our operations in WA.”

However, Master Builders Association spokesman Gavan Forster says Rio’s campaign is a mixed blessing.
Mr Forster says Rio Tinto will be poaching workers from other industries.
“The usual source is the building industry, then it means the price of labour’s going to rise and housing and building costs will rise,” he said.
“The construction industry has been poaching workers from the building industry and it’s the building industry that trains the carpenters and plumbers and so on and then they go to the mining industry and there’s no contribution to that training from the mining industry.
“We are arguing to the State Government that the construction industry should pay its fair share towards training, just like the building industry does.”
The West Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry says the federal government must allow more skilled migrants into the state to meet the worker shortage.
The Chamber’s James Pearson says increasing migrant numbers will reduce workers being poached from other industries such as the building trade.
“Well there is no doubt that there are knock-on effects from the increasing demand for workers in the resources industry,” he said.
“That’s why we’ve been pressing so hard for the federal government to increase the migrant intake into Western Australia and help companies like Rio and others get access to the workforce they need.”
Rio Tinto’s advertising campaign is expected to run for four months.

Looking for a job in Australia ? Meet Australian employers at Down Under Live

Tags: , ,

10 Responses to Rio Tinto launch massive recruitment drive in Australia

1. Bryana says:

Hi nice blog author! i’m so happy and i add “Like” (facebook) to http://www.australiamagazine.co.uk

2. Peter Kermath says:

I am a glazier with over twenty years experience in all aspects,machine windscreens,curtain walling,window installer both pvc and alluminium,all commercial and domestic glass.
    Regards

Peter

3. steve chalk says:

I am a telecom engineer with over 20 years experience as a copper cable jointer.would there be any openings with this minning company.ive been to western oz twice so i know wot its like down there.

4. Chris Newall says:

I am a fully qualified electrical/mechanical maintenance engineer that is ready and waiting to be offered a job in western australia.

5. Manny says:

Please let me know about Safety Health Enviroment MANAGER jobs oppotunities

6. Raphael says:

I am qualified carpenter ,cabinet maker ,shopfitting and I do kitchen installation as well .I live and work in south africa now; what should I do to be in touch with any employer looking for carpenters?

7. David Conroy says:

I am a carpenter looking to get to WA, I have been on Rio Tinto site but there is nothing for carpenters – any advice please

8. mario says:

I am a qualified welder, with 25 years of experience doing mig, stick and submerged arc welding on heavy duty and medium duty fabrication . I also do pressure welding on air reservoirs, transoms, headstocks, etc. Would like a company to sponsor me. Where can I find more information

9. How can i find out more?

10. Mark Greenfield says:

Can you Send me all relevant information that I need.
    I’m a class 1 welder with over 25 years experience.
    Regards