Published on March 15th, 2011 | by john.weir

Australia still needs skilled migrants from UK

The Australian government has announced a major new scheme targeted at increasing its skilled workforce.

However, industry leaders are adamant that the Australian government should maintain its drive to recruit skilled migrants from countries like the UK.

Skilled workers will be able to fast-track to full trade qualifications in as little as 18 months under a government plan to address the growing workforce crisis in the resources sector.

Skills Minister Chris Evans said the government would also provide $200 million for training projects for skills in high demand.

However, Australian Industry Group chief executive Heather Ridout said improving training and apprenticeships wouldn’t be enough, with immigration still vital.

“Immigration programs are essential to delivering skilled workers when and where we need them,” she said in a statement.

About the Author

John is the editor of Australia & New Zealand magazine, the UK’s only title dedicated to travel and migration downunder

39 Responses to Australia still needs skilled migrants from UK

1. sanam shakeel says:

how can i apply for visa for austrilia?

2. shahid hussain says:

hi im shahid.im skilledworker.my profation is hvac.im do the job with pak govt as refregration aircondition technician.and i wanted to go to ausrralia for better future can u help me ?

3. john says:

this is utter stupidity. Australian policy makers are living in Jupiter. if they have little sense they will not target people from English speaking develop ed economies, for the simple reason ; well doing professional from UK or canada will not migrate to Australia. if they do so, for what reason? climate? in fact to target skilled workers from these countries they increased the language requirement, so to get a better chance ielts requirement is 7 or 8. i am sure such demand will not be met and Australia going to lose valuable potential assets from developing countries. infact all the developed countries were able to keep their level high by taking migrants from develop countries, for the first time australia is trying new and i am sure its going to cost them a lot

4. john says:

small correction

infact all the developed countries were able to keep their level high by taking migrants from DEVELOPING countries, for the first time australia is trying new and i am sure its going to cost them a lot

5. willy says:

Australia still asking for high IELTS score of 7!!! This is not a realistic requirements, what about accepting level of 5&6 any they can deal easily with people & will get fluent in a short period due to life demands????

I see that some Australian citizenship holders already works in Africa & middle east for long time,is their not enough job and salary in Australia?

6. Armando Ortiz says:

Me and my family are interested to live and work in Australia 0r New Zealand. Would someone help us. I’m Civil Engineer. Please provide me mail to send my details.Appreciate very much your kind help.

7. raquel plarisan says:

Hi im raquel you send a message about live and work in australia..how can i apply this apportunity..and what i have to do about this?

My skilled is a beautician..doing manicure,pedicure,facial,massage,blow dry. kindly responce my litter.

thank you!

8. richard says:

I already have my papers to OV australia and paid some amounts but they continous collecting big amount of money. Every time they call me they ask another payments… what is this? I reach middle east but i havent paid any charges. You should convince your client to pay after reaching Australia i think that way is fare enough and good….

9. chickjozh says:

Am interested but am not from UK can my child and I migrate in Australia? How? How much will it cost me? Will economic life would be easier in Australia?

10. kusha says:

pl guide me and assist me to get permanent visa for australia

11. Mae says:

hi..i always get excited to read news about Australia needs more skilled workers or migrants..I am very much interested to live and work in this country but it seems that Australia is setting too high in terms of their requirements especially for nurses or midwives who wanted to practice their profession..it is so unrealistic to undergo ielts exam with the bandscore of 7 and above in each band. as long as the score in speaking test is 7 or above,with no less than 6 in other bands,Australia will consider it..just like in the US,they will accept this score..you can learn English and even the accent eventually..unlucky for us in the developing countries,it is very hard to get in Australia..hope someone will take a look at this problem….thank you very much.

12. Deo says:

I’m interested to live and work in Australia 0r New Zealand. Would someone help me. I’m a Computer Scientist. Please provide me mail to send my details.Appreciate very much your kind help.

13. Ioana says:

-Am 28 ani, sunt interesata de Australia sau Naou Zelanda. Sunt designer calificat in industrie, arhitectura dar si confectii. Am vreo sansa. Poate fi cineva,-firma sau persoana juridica, interesata de aportul calificativ al meu.

14. edner c. guintu says:

i’m interested and willing to live and work in australia. please give me the complete details so i can start it right away. i appreciate it very much if you can help me. thanks in advance and GOD BLESS.

15. d batth says:

hi. i live in uk. but here my visa has been refused.can i apply for austraila.
    hoe can apply for aystraila visa.

16. shyne george says:

I am Seena, me and my family would like to settle in australia. please guide and assist me to get a permanent visa in australia.. My husband is a pharmacist. Would like to find a job in Australia.. How much would it cost me and how long does it take to get a visa in australia… Please send me all the details

17. kiran malik says:

18. kiran malik says:

i am kiran malik and my family would like to settle in australia please guide and assist me toget a permanent visa in australia my father want to job in australia i want to get higher education please send me detail and ….i live in pakistan please.give me chance thank you

19. lars says:

I’m interested to live and work in Australia 0r New Zealand. Help me pls how to get Working Visa. Please provide me mail to send my details. thanks and god bless..

20. bekim baci says:

hi i am skilld worker as a billder but i am not from uk can u please tell me how can i apply for work in australia and how much is going to cost me that please lett me know thankyou

21. sami guesmi says:

I am anurse ,working in QATAR tell me how can i apply for work in australia ,and how much is going to cost me (total) that please lett me know and the duration of this proses thankyou.

22. saeed akram says:

hi i am currently doing job as FM in CMPAK but i am not from uk can u please tell me how can i apply for work in australia and how much is going to cost me that please lett me know thankyou

23. Paul John wadman says:

Sir
    i am an electrical engineer and would like to no if you have any jobs in this field, Part p domstic & 17 edition
    Regards
    Paul

24. Renu says:

how i can apply visa. I have cert III with me in horticulture as well i want to aply work visa here in australia

25. tarvinder says:

I am a civil engineer too and migrated to australia two years ago on permanent visa. There are no jobs for migrants here for this profession as you need australian work experience.It would you be better if you apply to the australian companies while you are at your home country. If you succeed only than you may plan

26. farah says:

hello,
    I’m farah and my family would like to settle in australia please guide me to get a permanent visa in australia my husband is a technican of aircraft in pakistan international airline and he want to a JOB in australia plz send me detail and give a chance

27. tanveer ul hassan says:

i am tanveer ul hassan,
    from saudi arebia,
    i work as a mechnical tecnaion in saudi bin ladin group and my nationelty is pakistani i have a lote of experiacein my feald please guide and assist me for apply austrelian work visa. would like to find a job in austrelia…….
    how much would it cost me and what is process of apply visa please send me compleat details so i can start it right way.i appreciate very much if you can help me and thank you in advance

28. M AKRAM says:

hi….
    is there any job for doctor’s?

29. wajahat says:

how can i apply for visa for austrilia?

30. Gilbert Mela says:

Hello brothers,

I’m action films writer. already written so many movies and know planning to go abroad in order to get started with my film casting. if
    Australia needs action films writer, please get back to me brothers because I’m interested. please send me an E-mail. thanks.

31. s.tufail khalil says:

i am warding as director finance in BPs 19 and Eighteen years of education and more than 17 years of experience in higher educatio managemnet .
    How can i apply for immegration to austrailia?

32. s.tufail khalil says:

i am warking as Director Finance in BPS 19 and Eighteen years of education and more than 17 years of experience in higher education managemnet in Pakistan .
    How can i apply for immegration to austrailia?

33. sylvestreNkurunziza says:

Hello.
    How can I get a visa for Australia for me and my family Wife and one child?

34. HaydeeAndrea says:
    October 16,2011 at 00.30 am

i am an nurse interested to live Work in Australia. than 26 years of experience in nurse. Please provide me mail to send my details.

thankyou.

35. Nael jaber says:

Hi my name is Nael ,live and work in chicago,IL,looking to come and work in Australia,I had two yrs electrical engineering certificate,AC aircinditioning,heating,cooling,repair all Appliances,install,all of them,had 30yrs experiance,pls help me to come there,this is my dream,Im waiting ur answer,my cell,7734413842,naeljaber@yahoo.com,thanks

36. Amiram Steinberg says:

I like this very much. Thanks !!!

37. Maria Rosemalyn Castillo Culas says:

Hi My Name is Rose, currently working in Dubai United Arab Emirates as a LOGISTIC CO-ORDINATORE at Royal Sporting House Company, before I was handling ADIDAS brand to this company as a CUSTOMER SALES ASSOCIATE in the big shopping mall here in Dubai (The Dubai Mall Shopping Centre) for the past 3 years….

I am very much interested to work in Australia, if there is any open position for the skilled worker as a Customer Sales, you may contact me on my personal mobile phone at +971 50 8875271 or you can send to my email at rosemalyn_16@yahoo.com or to my office email at rose@rshme.co.ae

Thank you in advance and looking forward for your kind consideration.

38. nathan says:

pls am from Nigeria and I want to apply, but it mentioned here that it is for those in UK. Whot can I do?